Pages

Monday 8 November 2010

The Challenge.. the Results..

So I am sitting now in front of the computer on this lovely Sunday afternoon with a big cup of peach flavour green leaf tea...  In my blog ‘why cottage cheese' I have set myself a challenge to stay away from coffee for a week and I am happy to say I have kept my promise! Having in mind that I am a coffee lover I thought it will be much harder to resist, but it wasn’t really! I did miss it though, but I was absolutely delighted by smooth and enjoyable taste of lovely green tea!  

Last Monday I armed myself with green, white and fruity teas and been drinking it all day long. I have to say I feel great... I think green tea has some magical powers... My skin looks lively and healthy and my stomach was keeping well!

I do not like going shopping to Oxford Street in London, it’s just too busy and too crazy, but there is one little shop I love in Tottenham Court Road and it’s just round the corner from my gym so I had a peek the other day for the tea selection they have. And I got myself this lovely caffeine free peach flavour green and also white leaf tea and I am loving it! It tastes as good as it smells... just a little bit of honey... a slice of lemon...  and I am sorted!

Tea history

Tea originated in China 4000 years ago! Green tea has been used as both a beverage and a method of traditional medicine in most of Asia, including China, Japan, Taiwan, Vietnam, Korea and Thailand, to help everything from controlling bleeding and helping heal wounds to regulating body temperature, blood sugar and promoting digestion.

Simple truth

Over the last few decades green tea has been subjected to many scientific and medical studies to determine the extent of its health benefits, with some evidence suggesting that regular green tea drinkers have lower chances of heart disease and developing certain types of cancer.  Although there is no scientific evidence that plain green tea can produce weight loss, a green tea extract is useful for "obesity management", since it stimulates fat oxidation.

Green tea consumption reduces risk of heart diseases, bad cholesterol, increases metabolic rate, fat oxidization, lowers incidence of cancers, prevents of the death of brain cells (less chance of Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s diseases).

Green tea also contains ascorbic acid (vitamin C), minerals such as chromium, manganese, selenium or zinc and all of these are great for our health, and I like green tea because of the zinc as it keeps my skin healthy and my hair 
shiny!

It’s very complicated how green tea works to benefit our health. It is a complex biological process and the easiest way to explain it is that green tea makes our body and immune system stronger and keeps away all the bad intruders. In this way our body is strong enough to fight various illnesses and also cancer. To fully benefit from this drink we should drink at least 8 cups of green tea per day and ensure the tea is the best quality!

 

Making green tea

I once read that we shouldn’t pour boiling water on to the tea (not only green tea) as it loses all its goodness and we should always use fresh water. Water left in the kettle loses vitality and makes tea taste dull!

So sit back...get yourself a cup of lovely green tea enriched with your favourite flavours, enjoy it and stay healthy!


No comments:

Post a Comment