Pages

Sunday 7 November 2010

Let it shine…

I love mid autumn when colourful leaves rustle under your feet… The weather is crispier but still mild… and you just want to wrap yourself into something warm and enjoy the feeling of the coming winter…

At this time of the year I get really concerned about the health of my hair. I love looking after it and treating my hair well so it looks healthy and shiny. The healthy lifestyle is vital for the health of our hair and there are so many signs warning you about the lack of vitamins in your daily diet. If your hair becomes thinner it can mean you are not getting enough protein with your food and if your hair looks dull you might be lacking zinc! If you want to have shiny and fabulous hair you need to sort out your daily menu and make sure you eat enough vitamins and minerals necessary to maintain a healthy scalp!

Why our hair is falling out?

The reasons may vary. It might be caused by stress, poor diet, especially smoking! Hair loss is common after giving a birth or if you stopped using contraceptives, but the good thing is that our hair has ability to revive itself every season and it has been proven by scientist that August and September is the time when we lose the largest amount (abut 50 – 100 hairs a day) and it is because of the lack of iron.

Hair maintenance

Our hair is structured from protein called keratin (95%) which contains sulphur. If we don’t consume enough of this protein then hair gets thinner. To prevent this from happening make sure you eat more products such as fish, cottage cheese, cheese, yoghurt, chicken, eggs. It only takes eating 4 boiled eggs a week to get your shiny hair back (100 g of egg yolk contaisn165mg sulfur)!

Things to know

Apparently the more we pamper our hair and use loads of different hair treatment products such as serums, leave in conditioners etc the more hair loses its ability to keep its natural moisture, and it becomes weaker, requiring more and more care.

Also keeping hair covered is not a good thing! We should wear hats only when it’s necessary!

Each person has approximately 100 – 120 thousand hairs on their head. In one month they grow about 1-1.5 cm. The hair growth process is at its fastest amongst 15-30 year old people and women’s hair grows faster than men’s!

Little tip (hot olive oil & rosemary herb mask)

Last week I was wandering around in a beauty shop, just looking for new brands, new products. There are so many... which one to choose... I picked up a small box of hot oil hair treatment... and then I though why should I buy one when I can make my own!? I have all the ingredients at home and I don’t need to spend any money and it is as good as any expensive beauty product, even better, because it’s all natural!

hot olive oil & rosemary hair mask 
Once again my kitchen becomes my little beauty lab and I do enjoy it! And my bathroom becomes a little SPA escape... I pour ½ glass of lovely olive oil into a cooking dish and put it on my gas stove, sprinkle ½ glass of dried rosemary leaves and start heating it up... the smell is gorgeous... I love rosemary in general and I think it’s a fantastic herb! I then sieve the warm oil to separate it from the herb and then rub it into my hair, especially hair tips. Wrap it up with the towel to keep the warmth in and leave it on for 30 minutes to one hour, although I usually leave it for a little bit longer...  and then just shampoo it twice to make sure all the oil excess is washed out. The hair is silky and soft and that’s the result I was expecting!

If you have some left over oil from your hair mask, don’t throw it away but use it to soften your hands!

I just love all these small homemade treats! They are great to warm you up on cold, rainy and dark autumn evenings!


No comments:

Post a Comment