Pages

Wednesday 15 December 2010

Evening snacking (4) Carrot, Butternut Squash and Orange Soup

I know… I know… I’ve been writing a lot about soups… but it’s cold outside and I am loving my new blender… and soups are always healthy! Here is one more soup I made some time ago. The taste is unusual, but I like it! It’s different, interesting, sweet and orangey. I just got carried away with all those yellow vegetables and fruit as there is not much sunshine outside at the moment!

Carrot, butternut squash and orange soup

Just like most of other home made soups, this one is easy to make and doesn’t take much time. I only found it difficult to peel and dice my butternut squash as it was pretty big and, I think, my knife wasn’t sharp enough. You can buy pre – cut butternut squash in a supermarket, but I just don’t believe in pre – cut vegetables. They just don’t taste the same…  

I had loads of fun making this soup and was looking forward to its orangey taste. Chopping all these yellow vegetables made me smile all the way, such a bright colour! And the butternut squash smelled like summer!

I have read a few carrot soup recipes before, but I didn’t follow any this time. The ingredients I used:

1 medium size butternut squash (use just half or even less if you don’t want your soup to be too sweet)
4 large carrots
1 large onion
2 cloves of garlic
1 large orange
2-3 cubes of vegetable/chicken stock
Mixed spices
Salt
 
After chopping all the vegetables and sweating the onion for a few minutes with olive oil I placed everything into a large pot and boiled until the vegetables were soft (takes around 30 minutes). Then just crushed in the garlic, grated some orange zest, squeezed in fresh orange juice and liquidised all the ingredients. I served it with a spoon of natural yoghurt which gave the soup an exceptionally creamy texture! You can sprinkle some chopped coriander, but to be honest with you, this is the only herb I can not have in my food! So I would choose fresh parsley!  

My friend suggested that maybe I could make it sweet and spicy and I think that could work well with some chilly... Try it if you want something unusual and healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment