Pages

Monday 20 December 2010

Healthy Vegetable Bake

It’s been a busy week! It always is before Christmas! And we had loads of snow on Friday and even more on Saturday! This is how I remember Christmas back home! I love snow and it’s nice to trot outside when snow is crunching under my feet and then after a nice and long walk its time for a nice hot drink and some lovely food to keep us warm.

I boiled some new potatoes the other day and had some left over. I though I can warm them up and eat with my lovely marinated Baltic Herring… My
mum, once again, sent me a big bag of goodies, just like every year before 
Marinated Baltic Herring
Christmas! But instead of having just that, I ended up with a selection of colourful vegetables which I transformed into a healthy and extremely tasty vegetable bake! I love baking vegetables because they keep the colour and olive oil gives them exceptional shine! You can mix loads of different parts of vegetables and it will always taste great! I Especially love peppers… green… yellow… red… all of them make your food look colourful and fun! They soak in the olive oil but still keep that slight crunchiness!

And the best part of all this is that this dish is low in fat and I guarantee you will not add any extra pounds eating a plate of healthy and juicy vegetable bake, it will comfort you on cold and wintery evenings and will satisfy your stomach and your soul!

My home made healthy vegetable bake

For my vegetable bake I chose:

Vegetable Bake with Cottage Cheese

3 peppers (yellow, green and red)
4 mushrooms
1 courgette
1 pack of baby corn
4-5 boiled potatoes (left over from my lunch)
A little bit of olive oil
200 g of cheese

If you are making a vegetable bake just for yourself you will not need that many ingredients, but I knew it was going to be a large dish because I had my friend coming over and I wanted to have some left for my lunch. But don’t worry if you bake more than you can eat! Just place it into a fridge and it will be perfectly fine for a healthy snack next day!

Before baking my vegetable bake I placed baby corn into a small dish with water and boiled them for a few minutes just to soften them a little bit. I then chopped all the vegetables into chunky bits, placed them into a large baking dish, mixed them well with olive oil, added some mixed spices and placed my colourful baking tray of healthy goodness into preheated oven and roasted for half an hour at 200 – 220 C

Lithuanian Cottage Cheese
I think that a bake is not really a bake without a piece of nice cheese! You can use any kind of cheese for this bake, I think, flaked parmesan would go really well, but I chose cottage cheese my mum sent me from Lithuania. I love this cheese because it’s so versatile! You can eat it with anything, I especially love it with a little bit of jam! Cottage cheese back home is a bit different in taste and it has a cheese shape because it’s pressed hard. Here in UK we get soft cottage cheese in a pot which is also great to mix with different foods. After my vegetable bake was nearly ready I sprinkled small pieces of cottage cheese on top of it and let it roast for approximately 10 minutes. It’s a nice and tasty finish touch!

This vegetable bake is great to eat on its own, with meat or fish. I think it would be great to roast a piece of chicken with it.

I served it with marinated Herring. I thought that salty Herring will balance well with my baked veggies and it certainly did!

I didn’t marinate the Herring this time because it was prepared already. But you can try to marinate a fresh Herring yourselves!







No comments:

Post a Comment