Pages

Tuesday 2 November 2010

Luscious Avocado

I can now say that avocado is one of my favourite salad ingredients ever! Some time ago I was very sceptical about this lovely peace of fruit but because I didn’t know how great it is for not only making salad but also making little treatments for my skin! I highly recommend eating avocados (unless you are allergic) as much as you can and I can guarantee you will not regret it!

In the United Kingdom the avocado became widely available in the 1960s when it was introduced by Marks and Spencer under the name 'avocado pear'. However, many customers tried to use it as a dessert ingredient like other pears (e.g. with custard), and complained to the store that it was inedible. As a result, Marks and Spencer dropped the word 'pear' and labeled it simply 'avocado'.

Good to know:

Avocados are high in valuable fats and appear to have a beneficial effect on blood serum levels. Aavocado is the second fruit (after olives) with the highest monounsaturated fatty acids - 20%.

Loads of people avoid avocado because of its fatty content, but this is a big mistake! The monounsaturated fats reduce overeating and are a big help to digestion system.

It is also one of the richest sources of fibre among all fruits and vegetables. Filled with vitamins A, B, especially B3 (folic acid), great anti-oxidants like vitamins C and E, calcium, iron, potassium and other powerful health maintaining nutrients!


Avocados are:

  • Very low in sodium
  • Very low in sugar
  • High in dietary fibre
Stay smooth with avocado…  

Avocado is not only delicious fruit and a perfect salad ingredient but also an amazing little treat for your home made face mask! Avocados are high in fat but most of the fat is monounsaturated and that’s why it is considered a healthy fat. An avocado is good for your skin because of its omega-3 fatty acids, avocados contain both vitamin C and vitamin E, which act well together as a powerful skin anti-aging combination. It smoothes your skin, keeps it plump and youthful looking and helps prevent dryness.


Indulge yourself with avocado


On my way home from work I popped into a shop and was looking for something light, fresh, super healthy and then I saw those lovely green avocados staring at me on the shelf. I instantly grabbed one of them and my brain was sending me an image of this perfect avocado evening with a bowl of nice salad and an avocado mask for my face. Once again I was excited  by having a double benefit from just one fruit.


I have halved the avocado and used one side for my lovely salad. Just chopped tomatoes, cucumber, yellow shiny pepper, tore a few green salad leafs, chopped some dill, parsley and basil left over from my cottage cheese day mixed in my creamy and luscious avocado, splashed a little bit of smooth and lovely olive oil, squeezed some lemon juice and had it ready in just minutes!


The other avocado half I used for my face skin treatment. It can not get any easier to make this mask! Just grind peeled avocado, mix it with a dash of olive oil, crack one egg yolk and apply onto clean skin. Keep it on for about 15 minutes and rinse it off with warm water. Mix avocado with egg whites if your skin is greasy! You will feel the freshness straight away! Try it and love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment