Pages

Sunday 31 October 2010

Let’s talk breakfast...

How often do you take the time to have some breakfast in the morning? Do you wake up a little bit earlier to have a bowl of cereal or you sleep until the last minute and then rush to work? I guess most people choose to sleep... and especially on cold and dark winter mornings.

I am an early bird and luckily for me I am always in a good mood! I don’t like rushing in the morning and love watching news or just listening to music while having my coffee!

Usually I have a bowl of muesli in the morning but I have been craving pouched eggs since Monday, so I have invited my friend over to have a lovely Halloween breakfast with me. I’ve made an English breakfast a few times before but I find it a bit too heavy and that’s why I decided to cook a healthy version and it was just perfect...

My healthier version of an English breakfast

I have poached eggs, not fried... instead of ordinary toast I had fresh and soft Halloween themed bread made with carrots, pumpkin and sunflower seeds which I have drizzled with a little bit of olive oil and grilled in the oven together with tomatoes and mushrooms... Grilling veggies makes all the difference, they are not as greasy and olive oil gives that little extra silky taste. I then filled my plates with lovely baked beans, poured some orange mango and passion fruit juice... parboiled vanilla flavour coffee and the breakfast is ready! Yummy!

The facts

Eggs

It’s recommended to eat eggs if you want to lose a few pounds and they make you feel fuller for longer. Statistically people eating eggs in the morning are losing weight easier and quicker than those who don’t.
Despite the popular belief research shows that people who regularly eat eggs do not suffer from an increase in cholesterol levels in their blood.  
One egg has only 70 calories, loads of useful vitamins, high quality proteins and antioxidants and it tastes so good whether it’s boiled, poached or scrambled! I wouldn’t recommend fried eggs though...

Beans

I’ve been a fan of beans since I was a child! I love them boiled, baked, hot, cold and mixed with food or on their own, butter beans, red kidney beans, the list is very long! This is an amazing source of protein. They have significant amounts of fibre and soluble fibre which can help lower blood cholesterol and beans are also high in complex carbohydrates, folate, and iron which is great for our health!

Mushrooms

Love love love mushrooms! They are a good source of selenium. With significant amount of selenium in every serving mushrooms could turn out to be an important ingredient in a cancer fighting diet, especially in lowering prostate cancer. Mushrooms are also a good source of vitamin B and they are unrecognised source of potassium, which helps to regulate blood pressure.
Mushrooms are great ingredients for your weight loss diet as well, 5 mushrooms contain only 20 calories and they are fat free!! How great is that!

Tomatoes

Tomatoes are great ingredients because they are fresh, juicy, colourful and tasty! They are an excellent source of vitamin C and A. One tomato has 22 calories and only 0.25g fat! They are well known for their richness of lycopene, a chemical that makes tomatoes red! The more tomatoes we eat the lower risk of cancer we have!

Don’t skip it!

It’s amazing how breakfast can make your morning more enjoyable! Just a simple fruit plate with yoghurt will provide you with energy and all the nutrients you need for a perfect start to the day and it only takes a few moments! Just take a few grapes, half an apple, half orange, kiwi mix it all with natural or your favourite flavour yoghurt and sprinkle handful of granola on the top! Its colourful, fun, tasty, refreshing!

Your stomach is not growling anymore, you are ready to start a new day and all that thanks to just a little breakfast!



No comments:

Post a Comment