Pages

Thursday 18 November 2010

Diet... diet... diet...

I was listening to the BBC news this morning and couldn’t help but wonder how many people are desperately trying to loose weight and how many teenagers are on various strict diets without realising the dangerous impact on their health.

It is scary to listen to all these 12 year old girls telling you how they avoid oil, sugar and even cereals just because it’s too filling… There are so many reasons why girls are afraid to eat! One of the biggest reasons is the pressure from society but I don’t want to be judgmental towards all the skinny models…. They are beautiful if they are natural! I once read in a magazine an interview with one model company representative and she was saying that they are looking for naturally skinny girls and there are only 1% of such girls in the world and their job is to find this 1%. The company is not looking for someone who is starving to become size zero because they look unhealthy and don’t have life in their eyes…

Suitable diet

From my point of view and to be honest with you, there are no right diets… I am not a dietician or a doctor, but I speak from my own experience. And I have been there, I have tried many different diets which didn’t really work and the reason they didn’t is because diets are temporary! We can’t follow just one diet, because we will end up with very poor daily meals and how long can it last? A day or two… very soon we will get board and tired with the limited food choice…

My story

When I was 15 and realised that my weight is not healthy, I decided to change my habits. I used to eat late at night, snack in between meals and sleep in. I started attending fitness lessons and my lovely trainer said that I sleep too much! She suggested sleeping 7-8 hours and being as active as I can. She also showed me brilliant exercises to do at home. They are easy and do not require much space, I use to do them every morning in my room and I could feel the difference just after 2 weeks. The exercises involved just simple sit ups, legs and hips lifting, body stretching. For my arms she gave me little weight lifts in the gym, but for my home exercise she just told me to use small bottles filled up with water! It was my summer holiday and I will never forget this feeling of my jeans just dropping down! I still ate normally, tried to eat more vegetables and drink loads of water, move more. I was a happy teenager and I didn’t feel tired! The exercises gave me even more energy and I was waking up excited every morning to do them all over again! And I lost weight not because of dieting but thanks to exercising and eating healthier!

Be true to yourself

You have to be true to yourself and if you say ‘I will start being healthier tomorrow’ you never will! Just start it today! It’s not hard to do it step by step and I always say that you don’t need to give up your favourite meals just find the balance! Eat smaller portions or put more green veggies than potatoes on your plate! And if you really want something sweet just have it… but make sure it’s not too much because if you will not have it on the day you want it I am sure you will eat double the next day!

Make it your lifestyle

I love cooking, I love eating and I love making desserts and experimenting with food! Going to the gym at least two days a week allows me to enjoy my lovely meals now and again! I always choose fish or sea food over meat, but I love turkey and duck and I try to have vegetables mixed in my food because then its not as heavy! I am careful with salt in my food and avoid ready made meals!

My lovely chick peas lunch
We all are individuals and the same diet or the same advice can not work for us all! You just have to make it your lifestyle and chose the way you want to follow! I have done it and it’s been nearly 15 years now I am maintaining my healthy lifestyle and it makes me happy! I allow myself to be naughty and I treat myself but I know one thing that I never ever want to go back to where I was before I considered changing my habits!  

Make your life more colourful and exciting by adding more vegetables to your meals and make it more dynamic by introducing exercising! And it doesn’t mean you have to go to the gym! Just go for a long walk and get some fresh air!

No comments:

Post a Comment